3/15/2007

Tragedy, Befalls our Heroes...


Rest in peace, you will be missed!

I didn't know Tommy or Cindy for very long, and I'm not one to best tell their story. However, I did get the opportunity to meet these great individuals and I will miss them and share my condolences to their families.

I don't even think I'm fit enough to tell their tragic death but if you want to get an idea of what happened you can look at this:

Fatal Crash

Let's Talk About Death, oops!

Although this week I wanted to write about my experience at MAASU (I'll get back to that later in this post) and touch base with the Silver Age, this event has really impacted my perspective on life and I just want share. So lets all gather by the computer, hold hands, and read some of my rants.


You can consider this post one of those Special Episodes. You the ones that talk about sex, drugs, rock music, ect. For instance, who remembers the Save by the Bell episode where Zack found out about his Native American roots or when Jessie started doing caffeine pills? Well today is that special episode day, so get some Kleenex it will do you some good.

In comics we take death for granted want to know how, well just check out these two Iconic treasures...

The good die so young... especially after 100 issues

The comics above depict our most beloved Superheroes in the worst scenario: Their Death. I feel we take that kind of death for granted, because we know that in the end they'll come back. Usually its through some kind of miracle of science and magic. Or they are replaced by someone who can fill in that void, like the Blue Beetle.



We either get tired of a character, need to re-con their story, or we just need time apart..."Its not you, its me". What ever the case maybe, we take our heroes for granted. We love them for only so long and then next week they are gone. I guess if your like Thor here, you get that second chance, otherwise you can cheat death like Wolverine and the crowd will never get enough of that!

But in real life we don't get that chance for a second issue, I know I'm shooting out bad puns get over it! Seriously, I've never really experienced such a tragic event so its been an eye opener. I just would like point out the following and share some thoughts.

1. To the families of the departed, my prayers and sympathy go out to you.

2. Life can be long or short, doesn't matter live every day like a Klingon:


Today is a good day to die!


3. Don't forget to say, "I love you!"

Okay, not very anti-hero-esque but hey I don't care if you make fun of me! One thing I know for sure is something I heard in that new Batman movie: "And why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."

I know corny, cheesy stuff. But you're talking with a comic book fan, we live for quotes like that like the Ghost Rider needs souls of the damned! In all, I'm not letting this tragedy get the best of me and I'm picking up the pieces and gluing them all back together. I wish they were more like Legos.

Lets Remember...

I met Tommy and Cindy about two months ago at NIU. Really nice people, my friend would say "Its so rare to meet such nice and wonderful people". I got a chance to really get to know these two at the MAASU conference last weekend, which might I add was a really good weekend (Thanks to all those who attended). And what really gets me is that weekend was not to long ago, such a short time and yet I'll remember and keep remembering till the end.

At any rate, if you are reading this post and know of these Heroes or if you yourself are missing someone who has recently passed away, my biggest suggestion is to keep their story alive. Don't fear telling yourself or others what you best remember of them. It keeps not only their memory alive, but it can keep you sane and alive as well.

With that, join me next week as I will tell you more about my MAASU experience and I'll finally get to tell you all about Iron Man, gosh I'm such a procrastinator. Forgive me? This is not the last you heard of the Diabolical Benhur!


Please feel free to write a comment...

No comments: